Hello Dear Readers,
It's Sunday morning, 8:55 am, and the Wombury is listening to U2's "Bad", typing this sentence, feeling the self-recrimination of the wicked and the weary.
Lately I've been dreaming about taking batting practice with splintered baseball bats and men with supernaturally large genitalia.
The Economist published an article about the current American Recession. according to the venerable british newspaper, the recession will be "shallow, but prolonged." The Wombury believes the American Recession is a metaphor for his personal failure as a writer and a lover, and the Economist is a magazine sent by John Micklethwaite, the editor, as a coded way of letting him know he'll being suffering a "shallow, but prolonged" case of missing That Girl He Used To Know and Still Loves.
The middle school principal labeled the play the Wombury is putting on with his students like this: "very subtle" and "not intuitive". Let the Womby break it down: "Boring" and "Confusing"
That Girl I Used to Know and Still Love called me Willy Loman in a recent email. She's right. But being a loser will be my meal ticket. If the wombury is not fucking up, he's not trying hard enough. That's why I was so unhappy with the Girl That Made Me Happy. The Wombury isn't happy when he's happy.
In six days the Wombury is flying to California to visit his friend Edgar. The Wombury's friendship with Edgar is problematic. Edgar is an alpha male, which the Wombury wants to be, but as per his contract regarding personal failure, he is legally forbidden from successfully sleeping with women. In fact, should the opportunity present itself, the wombury is contractually obligated to find a creative way to sabotage intercourse. Some methods of coitus interruptus have included, but are not limited to: telling a girl he's suicidal; telling a girl she's exceptionally stupid for thinking Britney Spears is a billionaire; and most recently, telling a girl she's a lesbian because her voice is too low. Edgar slept with that girl.
The Wombury has trouble with alpha males because when he was young, Johnny Hurley, this hardscrabble kid from the poor section of town, wanted to fight the 8 year-old Womby, but the Womby had no desire to fight back so he ran away, to the safety of his house, but when Ma Wombury discovered the reason for his terror, she demanded he take his chicken-shit ass outside and fight. Meanwhile Johnny Hurley was pounding on the front door and ringing the bell, and the Wombury stood in the foyer overwhelmed and terrified. Eventually Johnny Hurley left, and all that remainded in the house was the recognition that Ma Wombury had a huge pussy for a son. This is why his trip to California is problematic.
Today, the Wombury is prepared to cut a check for 2000 dollars to a 37 year-old polish lesbian as payment for services rendered. Those services? Editing the Wombury's documentary from this fall and winter. The money is roughly a third of her fee.
There is an online competition, being held by PBS, for something called Roadtrip Nation. They are selecting teams of 2 or 3 to travel to New Zealand for two weeks in August, to interview people from "another culture", and to document the trip with blogs, photos, and videos. The Wombury is certain he is right for this, and his team will include Praveen and Luis.
lately, the wombury has been listening to Motown. The Wombury is nostalgic for something that never was. The Wombury feels guilty that he doesn't see his family enough. The Wombury feels guilty that he has enough ambition to move away but not enough to commit to anything beyond this sentence. The Wombury is smart enough to see how mediocre he is, but stupid enough to not care. I hate the Wombury.
Right now, there is a independent boarding school called the Chinquapin School, located somewhere in the comparatively rural outskirts of Houston, that wants the Wombury to teach english and coach there next fall. The school is dedicated to serving low income students with high college potential. The students are 100 percent responsible for upkeep of the school. the The boys live on campus throughout the week. The staff lives full time. This is the kind of school the wombury would start. Furthermore, the wombury is so eviscerated by the loss of the Girl He Used to Know and Still Loves, that A) he is looking forward to the interview just so he can feel wanted, B) moving away seems the logical solution to put this ache behind him.
Too bad he told his principal he was returning next year.
Virgin and whores. how much of life is dedicated to the mystery of virgins and whores.
Until then,
The WOmbury
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I too am listening to Bad as I write my comments, having just read your last two posts, I am reeling in anger. You keep referring to yourself as a failure, a loser who relishes the moniker, the status of a male who exists outside the pack, who can pick at the meat only after you have permission to do so.....How attractive for N if she were to read your posts.
If she is reading them let me first apologize to her, because in all Of Clarke's pain at his loss I have hurled many unkind remarks in your direction in an effort to get him to get angry. He gets angry at me for saying them. He does not let them stand,he protects you, he protects your image. To see it besmirched gives him pain.
He can go on dates. I actually see him get numbers from some pretty terrific woman, but he can't call them. It is as if he is cheating if he lets himself even try to forget you. I know your relationship had its difficult moments. I also know that it had it moments of love and splendor. That said, I still see the "old Clarke", but there is a part of him that has learned a very valuable lesson. He now understands how fragile love really is. He now knows how much you must have truly loved him for so long and what he did to chase you away. Can a man change? He has, and he has you to thank for that. He has become a better man because of you. Someone else will probably benefit from this change, but I want you to know that you did matter and still matter.It can be said that he might have learned his lesson a bit too late, but a lesson that changes one to the very core can never be learned too late. He is a changed man.
Now to you Mr. Clarke, knowing you as I do, I know that that you would make a wonderful father. Your child would never be bored.If your child saw the world through your eyes, he would see a new adventure around every corner. You bring enthusiasm and energy to every thing you do. How many coaches would have gone to the Diana trach meet? You taught her a very valuable lesson - she matters. As a husband, I know that with the right woman you will make a wonderful husband. N brought you to your knees.She showed you that you must worship and respect love. She taught you that sometimes it is not enough. I truly believe that you did not know how to love. I truly believe that now you do, and for that Nicole must be thanked.
Did The Wombury comment on his own post?
I don't understand your question, anon. If you're asking the wombury if he wrote the lengthy comment printed above yours, then the answer is no.
The original comment-leaver is a very good friend of mine. She's Russian and Scottish. But what a strange question to ask, anonymous II. Are you a man or a woman?
To the original poster. The only thing I've failed to do is to write about my failures. Without writing Bukowski is just a another drunk. Our stories dignify our fuck-ups. Garrison Keillor said it best, "nothing bad can happen to a writer; they just turn it into a story."
Furthermore, original poster, I am not romanticizing my time with N, I am only trying to say that my unhappiness stemmed from my inability to surrender all that was false for the sake of what I knew to be true. On that precipice lies my anger and shame. To move on, is an impossibility. N may not have "made" me happy; what can make us be happy? But without her I am lost, morbidly lost. "My finger does not make me happy, but try to cut it off..." There is N, clear and definite and then there is everyone else, all huddled together in a blur. The sad thing is, I don't think she reads the blog anymore.
Is there any shot at getting her back, or are you wasting your time? If there's a chance, then you'd better take it and put 100% of yourself into it. If not, get over it and go to Houston. You're wasting your life. What if you only love her and miss her because she's gone? What if you weren't right together, but it hurts so bad to be alone, you think that she's the solution to all of your problems? The mind can be very powerful at times like this. You might be addicted to missing her.
If you were supposed to be together wouldn't you be together? People break up for a reason. Are you writing this blog in the hopes that she'll see it, drop everything, and run back to your arms to tell you what a fool she's been?
Do we have a new reader? I don't recognize your syntax or tone. You seem fairly blunt in your reaction, Anon. A) I wouldn't consider teaching in the Bronx wasting my time, although it is fairly draining and not as glamorous as teaching in elite private schools full of geniuses. B) Yeah, part of me sure as fuck does hope the girl I used to know is moved by my impassioned pleas. But I don't expect her to come back to me because of them. I'm a blogger, Anon. I write about whatever is central to my existence at the time of the posting. Missing the Girl I used to know was central at the time of the posting. Today, it's the play I'm doing with the kids. Tomorrow it might be a track meet or the Documentary I'm working on. Thursday it might the girl again, or the book I can't write or my weekly trip to Dr. Z.
Plus, Anon, I never said anything nice to the girl I used to know when I knew her. Everyone should have someone say something nice to them. Even if the timing is poor.
Dear Anonysis.
You're the best,
Glad to see you back on the comment page,
Wombrybro
Post a Comment