Maybe you've noticed, or maybe you're too preoccupied with financial algorithms, but in recent posts I've been discussing the nature of Off the Grid communities, looking for the "underground" and the general state of Affairs of the world. If you haven't already, stop what you're doing and catch up on the entries (if not to read the past blogs then to save yourself the embarrassment of doing that).
For this post, the Wombury considers the connection between Off the Grid communities and resistance.
Let's start with the idea of a resistance movement.
Is there are resistance movement in America? Should there be? Could there be?
A resistance movement is not something most would associate with America. When I think of Resistance Movements I think of the Free French Forces of World War II, commanded by Charles de Gaulle, and the Rebel Alliance, commanded by Mon Motha and Admiral Ackbar. Charles de Gaulle resisted the Nazis, while the Rebel Alliance resisted Darth Vader and the Evil Galactic Empire. With apologies to Hitler and Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith I think we can all agree Hitler and Darth Vader are good reasons to resistance, rebel, and revolt.
In America, the source of irritation and political agitation is more difficult to pin down. On the surface it appears there are NO reasons to resist, rebel, and revolt. We have constitutional freedoms (no snickering about unwarranted wire taps/the Patriotic Act/Income Tax), as well as financial and social freedoms. So what could cause resistance?
Until Then,
The Wombury
Friday, November 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I respectfully submit that your language is lazy and thus confusing. What are you looking for? The “Underground” or the “Revolution?” Or both? These concepts are typically mutually exclusive. For instance, in America, because there is no fear of deadly reprisals the resistance need not be covert (unlike De Gaulle’s France - where stormtroopers would kill him - or Admiral Ackbar’s galaxy far, far away – where, um, stormtroopers would kill him). But there are revolts; they just happen to be out in the open, in the political theatre. For example, Evangelical Protestants struggle over the meaning of the religion clause of the First Amendment by electing, en masse, candidate X. Or Hollywood Stars parade with Hugo Chavez to tar and feather the Bush Administration’s foreign policy.
The communities you’ve visited are neither. They’re not underground but in plain sight as nobody gives a rat’s ass. And their “radical” inhabitants aren’t resisting, they’re resigning. Their aim is not to revolt, merely to reject.
If you want a true underground revolution go to Africa. I hear one breaks out every 44 days. As for your Off The Grid project, I thought it was tremendous. If you made it into a movie – with your craven thoughts as the main character and ONLY IF you narrated it so – it would be fabulous. Which leads me right into the true revolution you seek, the one against yourself. Your obvious weapon of choice: your wit. Your shield: the truism that the most profound lessons of history are most unequivocally taught on the battlefield.
BFMP,
Thank you for taking the time to respond, this was one hell of a comment.
In the future I will try to refrain from Lazy and Confusing language, especially if I know someone like you is reading!
PS You're not from Madison, are you?
Post a Comment